All in-person programs are cancelled through June, but our Virtual Chamber Series begins September 29. Click here to learn more!
Sue Goetz Ross Student Competition for Voice
The 2021 competition has passed. Congratulations to the winners and participants!
- Application Opens: Monday, January 25, 2021
- Application Deadline: Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 11:59pm
Dates for the 2022 competition will be posted here in August 2021. This competition traditionally takes place the first weekend in March.
Judging and Winner’s Announcement
Saturday, March 7, 2020
Virtual. Applications should include video submissions (further requirements below). Meet the Judges and the Winner’s Announcement will take place via Zoom. More info to follow post-application date.
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Apply online using a credit card.
The Sue Goetz Ross Memorial Competition is open to voice students ages 17 to 22. Participants must reside or study within a 50-mile radius of the DC metropolitan area.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Choose three selections of contrasting style and period, memorized:
- One art song in a foreign language.
- One aria from opera, oratorio, or musical in original language.
- One American song, including musical theater.
Accompaniment: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, you may use any accompaniment (including pre-recorded online accompaniment) or your own pianist.
- Record a separate unedited video for each selection on the repertoire list.
- The camera should record from a fixed position as if three judges are seated in front of you. Face straight forward to the camera as you would appear to judges in a live audition.
- Video recordings must clearly show your face and most of your upper body.
- Introduce each selection at the beginning of the video. As an example: “I will sing [title of song] by [composer] and (if appropriate) from [title of work].”
- Do not reveal your name, teacher, or school. This also applies to your YouTube name and link. Be careful that your account name doesn’t reveal your identity.
- Perform each of the selections by memory.
Mira Yang, Voice Competition Chair
If you experience technical difficulties, need to make a change to your application, or realize you’ve made an error, please email Mira Yang, as well as FMMC Managing Director, Jennie Weyman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Prize: Rosemary Wright, mezzo-soprano
- Second Prize: Meghan Willey, soprano
- Third Prize: Grace Mead, soprano
- Audience Award: Alexandria Zallo
- Honorable Mentions: Callie Cooper, Olivia Davidson, Lena Goldstein, Ricky Goodwyn, Sara Miller, Julianna Smith, Jillian Tate, Ella Rescigno, and Alexandria Zallo