Sue Goetz Ross Student Competition for Voice
The 2023 Sue Goetz Ross Competition Voice has passed. Please check back in September 2023 to learn about the 2024 Competition. The below information is for reference only, and will be updated this fall.
Sunday, March 12, 2023, at 11:59pm
Saturday, March 18, 2023, at 9am
Bethesda Presbyterian Church
7611 Clarendon Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Apply online using a credit card.
The Sue Goetz Ross Memorial Competition is open to voice students ages 17 to 22. Participants must reside or study in Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Choose three selections of contrasting style and period, memorized:
- One art song in a foreign language.
- One aria from opera, oratorio, or musical in original language.
- One American song, including musical theater.
All contestants must use official accompanist provided by the Friday Morning Music Club.
COVID-19 Compliance Requirements and Precautions
- Masking: All attendees (singers, artists, staff, and audience members) much be masked indoors during the duration of the competition. Singers will be allowed to remove their mask only at the time of their performance window. Medical grade masks are highly encouraged.
- Vaccines and Testing: Singers must present proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID test (PCR) taken no more than 72 hours before the competition at the check-in table upon arrival at the competition.
Mira Yang, Voice Competition Chair
If you experience technical difficulties, need to make a change to your application, or realize you’ve made an error, please email Mira Yang, as well as FMMC Managing Director, Jennie Weyman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Prize: Meghan Wiley
- Second Prize: Hyun Woo Song
- Third Prize: Simone Gallion and Katelynn Cherry
- Honorable Mentions: Jana Harmon, Sofia Stankeiwicz, Juliana Cardine, Grace Hebeisen, Sophia Merbaum, J. Solomon Collins, Eliyahu Young, Lourdes Rodriguez, Lena Goldstein, Helena Ruiz-Nuckols, and Ricky Goodwyn