All FMMC programs are postponed or cancelled through the end of June. We will resume as soon as it is safe to do so. Click this banner to support us today.
Stubbs-Henbest-Davis High School Piano Competition
March 5, 2020
Date & Time
April 5, 2020 at 9:00am
Steinway Piano Gallery
11611 Old Georgetown Road
North Bethesda, MD 20852
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Online only applications require this to be paid via credit card.
Piano students who are currently enrolled in grades 9-12, living within a 50-mile radius of Washington, DC.
*First-place winners from previous years are ineligible.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Winners will be presented at a student concert later in the season. All winners, including honorable mention, receive a one-year Student Membership in the Friday Morning Music Club.
- All selections must be performed from memory.
- Repertoire must be approved by the competition chair.
- Entrants must provide music for the judges. If the music is photocopied, the entrant will be disqualified.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- No changes in repertoire may be made after the application deadline.
- Students must be prepared to play works from each of the following four categories:
- A prelude and fugue from either volume of the Well Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach, or two other comparable pieces from the Baroque Period.
- The first movement of a sonata by Beethoven (excluding Op. 49), Mozart (excluding K 545), Haydn (excluding early Divertimenti), or Schubert.
- A substantial work from the Romantic Period.
- An impressionist work or a work from the 20th or 21st century.
Piano Competition Chair
2018 Competition Winners
- First Prize/The George Manos Piano Prize: Eric Lin, 12th, Thomas Jefferson HS
- Second Prize: Angela Wu, 11th, Wootton HS
- Third Prize: Ethan Hsiao, 10th, BASIS Independent McLean
- Honorable Mention: Grace Wang, 12th, Richard Montgomery HS