All in-person programs are cancelled through June, but our Virtual Chamber Series begins September 29. Click here to learn more!
Stubbs-Henbest-Davis High School Piano Competition
- Application Opens: March 25, 2021
- Deadline for Application/Video Submissions: April 16, 2021 at 11:59pm
You must submit your final videos with your application.
Virtual. Submit YouTube videos as outlined below.
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Online only applications require this to be paid via credit card.
Piano students who are currently enrolled in grades 9-12, living within a 50-mile radius of Washington, DC.
*First-place winners from previous years are ineligible.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Winners will be presented at a student concert later in the season. All winners, including honorable mention, receive a one-year Student Membership in the Friday Morning Music Club.
- All selections must be performed from memory.
- All selections should be performed in their entirety.
- Any questions regarding repertoire should be sent to the competition chair.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- No changes in repertoire may be made after the application deadline.
- Students must play works from each of the following four categories:
- A prelude and fugue from either volume of the Well Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach, or two other comparable pieces from the Baroque Period.
- The first movement of a sonata by Beethoven (excluding Op. 49), Mozart (excluding K 545), Haydn (excluding early Divertimenti), or Schubert.
- A substantial work from the Romantic Period.
- An impressionist work or a work from the 20th or 21st century.
- Upload each selection as a separate unlisted YouTube link (meaning you will have four links to submit in the application).
- List the title of the piece and the composer as the title of your video.
- Do not put your name or any identifying information in or on your media submission, including in the YouTube channel name.
- Please do not do any of the following as it may disqualify you:
- Do not edit within a piece.
- Do not use special effects, dissolves, fades or wipes.
- Do not submit pre-recorded live performances, such as recitals, concerts, or competitions.
- Guidelines for Recording your Audition
- Use a fixed point of view for your camera with you being the main focus. Shoot straight on, leaving the camera in one location. Do not pan or move the camera.
- Camera should be no closer than waist up.
- Ensure recording captures good quality image that is in focus.
- Ensure recording equipment has the ability to capture good sound quality.
- Make sure there is 1-3 seconds of silence before the beginning of the piece.
- No sound enhancements or editing is allowed.
- Hands and fingers must be visible.
Piano Competition Chair
If you experience technical difficulties, need to make a change to your application, or realize you’ve made an error, please email Chen-Li, as well as FMMC Managing Director, Jennie Weyman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Competition Winners
- First Prize/The George Manos Piano Prize: Eric Lin, 12th, Thomas Jefferson HS
- Second Prize: Angela Wu, 11th, Wootton HS
- Third Prize: Ethan Hsiao, 10th, BASIS Independent McLean
- Honorable Mention: Grace Wang, 12th, Richard Montgomery HS