All in-person programs are cancelled through December, but our Virtual Chamber Series begins September 29. Click here to learn more!
Stubbs-Henbest-Davis High School Piano Competition
March 5, 2020
Date & Time
April 5, 2020 at 9:00am
Steinway Piano Gallery
11611 Old Georgetown Road
North Bethesda, MD 20852
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Online only applications require this to be paid via credit card.
Piano students who are currently enrolled in grades 9-12, living within a 50-mile radius of Washington, DC.
*First-place winners from previous years are ineligible.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Winners will be presented at a student concert later in the season. All winners, including honorable mention, receive a one-year Student Membership in the Friday Morning Music Club.
- All selections must be performed from memory.
- Repertoire must be approved by the competition chair.
- Entrants must provide music for the judges. If the music is photocopied, the entrant will be disqualified.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- No changes in repertoire may be made after the application deadline.
- Students must be prepared to play works from each of the following four categories:
- A prelude and fugue from either volume of the Well Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach, or two other comparable pieces from the Baroque Period.
- The first movement of a sonata by Beethoven (excluding Op. 49), Mozart (excluding K 545), Haydn (excluding early Divertimenti), or Schubert.
- A substantial work from the Romantic Period.
- An impressionist work or a work from the 20th or 21st century.
Piano Competition Chair
2018 Competition Winners
- First Prize/The George Manos Piano Prize: Eric Lin, 12th, Thomas Jefferson HS
- Second Prize: Angela Wu, 11th, Wootton HS
- Third Prize: Ethan Hsiao, 10th, BASIS Independent McLean
- Honorable Mention: Grace Wang, 12th, Richard Montgomery HS