In-person performances are back! Click here to view our calendar of events.
Stubbs-Henbest-Davis High School Piano Competition
- Application Opens: March 15, 2022
- Deadline for Application: April 15, 2022 at 11:59pm
- Competition Date: May 7, 2022 (Beginning at 9am)
Calvary Baptist Church
755 8th St. NW, Washington DC 20001
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Online only applications require this to be paid via credit card.
Piano students who are currently enrolled in grades 9-12, living within a 50-mile radius of Washington, DC.
*First-place winners from previous years are ineligible.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
Winners will be presented at a student concert later in the season. All winners, including honorable mention, receive a one-year Student Membership in the Friday Morning Music Club.
- All selections must be performed from memory.
- Any questions regarding repertoire should be sent to the competition chair.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- No changes in repertoire may be made after the application deadline.
- Students must play works from each of the following four categories:
- A prelude and fugue from either volume of the Well Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach, or two other comparable pieces from the Baroque Period.
- The first movement of a sonata by Beethoven (excluding Op. 49), Mozart (excluding K 545), Haydn (excluding early Divertimenti), or Schubert.
- A substantial work from the Romantic Period.
- An impressionist work or a work from the 20th or 21st century.
Piano Competition Chair
If you experience technical difficulties, need to make a change to your application, or realize you’ve made an error, please email Chen-Li, as well as FMMC Managing Director, Jennie Weyman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 Competition Winners
- First Prize/The George Manos Piano Prize: Madelyn Dwyer
- Second Prize: James Bennett
- Third Prize: Tan Nguyen
- Honorable Mentions: Harrison Benford and Trung Nguyen