Our 2022-23 Season is underway! Check out the events calendar here.
High School Competition for Strings
in memory of Gustave E. Johansen, Jr.
- Application Deadline: November 5 at 11:59pm
- Video Submission Deadline (via email): November 12 at 11:59pm
Our 2022 competition will be virtual, both due to the success of last year’s virtual competition. We are asking all participants to submit a video to serve as their entry to be judged. Participants must apply by November 5 at 11:59pm and then email their video to Jeongseon Choi, Strings Competition Chair, at email@example.com. Please see below for all video requirements.
Winners will be announced no later than November 19, 2022.
A $35 non-refundable application fee is required by the deadline. Apply online using a credit card.
Students currently enrolled in Grades 9 – 12 who play violin, viola, cello, or bass within a 50-mile radius of the DC metropolitan area.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $1,000
- Third Prize: $700
The winners have opportunities to perform in the FMMC Student Recitals throughout the season at various venues and receive a membership for the full 2022-23 Season.
Choose three works, each from a different period:
- A fast movement from a standard concerto.
- One work in a challenging, contemporary idiom (see suggested examples), employing such characteristic devices as atonality, polyrhythms, non-traditional notation, etc. No works drawn from film scores. The degree of the stylistic/aesthetic challenge of the work will be a factor in the judging. The work need not be memorized; though doing so will obviously increase the contestant’s score.
- A composition in a style that contrasts with the other two works.
- All selections, except sonatas with piano, must be performed from memory. An exception may be made for a new piece in a contemporary idiom.
- Only one sonata with piano may be included on your program.
- Contestants must provide their own accompanist. Any music with accompaniment must be performed with an accompanist.
- Repertoire must be approved by the Competition Committee prior to submitting application. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your repertoire selection.
- Your video must be submitted via email as a link, uploaded to YouTube (unlisted). Please send it to Jeongseon Choi, Strings Competition Chair, at email@example.com. It must be received by November 12, 2022 at 11:59pm.
- The video should be one full recording of all three works without breaks in-between. Introduce yourself at the beginning, and before playing each piece, please state the title of the work and the composer. Do this for the start of each piece.
- You can record these videos at home using your own setup or at a recording studio.
Jeongseon Choi, Strings Competition Chair
- First Prize: Jessica Jiang, cello
- Second Prize: Lauren Yoon, violin
- Third Prize: Anderson Bernal, bass
- Honorable Mention: Jing Fan, violin